The Albany Police Department has created two "Safe Exchange Zone" spots located in our parking lot at 2600 Pacific Boulevard SW. Both are under 24/7 video surveillance. They provide residents a safe, alternative location for private party transactions including online purchases and for child custody transfers instead of meeting a stranger at a private residence or unfamiliar location.
Safe Exchange Zone Tips:
- No appointments are necessary when using the Safe Exchange Zone.
- Police personnel will not assist with any transactions.
- The Safe Exchange Zone is meant for person-to-person transactions. Property may not be dropped off and left unattended.
- The Safe Exchange Zone is not a drop off where parents can leave children for a later pick-up time. All exchanges must be person-to-person.
- Sellers are required to take their property with them if the buyer does not show up.
- Only conduct transactions with local buyers/sellers.
- Do not go to a transaction alone.
- Make sure a friend or family member is aware of the details.
- Complete the transaction during daylight hours.
- Be extra cautious in buying/selling valuable items.
- Only use cash or money orders.
- Trust your instincts; if it sounds like a scam it probably is a scam.
- If someone is not willing to come to the Albany Police Department to complete a sale, it is probably not a legitimate transaction.
To learn more about Safe Exchange Zones, or to find more in your area visit: http://www.safetradestations.com/safetrade-station-list.html